Job Title: Building & Interior Designer
Reports To: Adaptation Design Studio’s Manager
- Advanced computer-aided experience with either Chief Architect or other 3D professional modeling programs
- Excellent people skills with experience in direct client contact
- Ability to instill confidence during an initial phone call, or face-to-face interaction, with a potential client
- Ability to site-measure and draw accurate as-built drawings
- Ability to draw basic site, foundation, framing, floor and roof plans
- Ability to draw cross sections and elevations
- Ability to creatively space plan for new and existing structures
- Quick ‘on-your-feet’ ability to brainstorm and generate ideas
- Ability to help clients develop specifications for their projects
- Strong knowledge of construction materials and terminology
- Intermediate hand sketching skills for problems solving
- General grasp of the building code and the building permit process
- General grasp of structural components of a building and identifying when structural engineering is appropriate
- General grasp of electrical and HVAC systems
- General understanding and past experience with communicating and managing subcontractors
- Ability to estimate and purchase cabinets, countertops, tile and flooring
- 5 years of verifiable experience in the design development of significant remodels & custom homes
- Ability and desire to work as an effective and positive team player in our design/build culture
- Good working knowledge of Outlook, Excel and WORD
- Furnishing us with references, sample drawings and photographs, if possible
- Dependable, presentable transportation
- Valid driver’s license with an excellent record
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions; ability to fill out forms legibly
- Verifiable references from previous employer(s) and client(s)
- Ability to create permit ready drawings and documents.
- Excellent understanding of both structural and interior design principles.
- Wage level commensurate with qualifications and experience. Current wage range is between $28 and $34 per hour.
- Other benefits: see summary below. A full description of our benefits is contained in our Company Policy Manual, which you will receive and sign if you are hired. This is simply a summary.
Summary of Current Benefits:
Personal Healthcare Account (PHA)
A-1 Builders provides you with a PHA after you have reached your 90 day eligibility requirement. This is not a health insurance plan. Instead, we contribute a specific monthly amount of money into your PHA based upon the age-dependent chart. This monthly contribution is aligned with the premium cost of a model health insurance plan described in our Company Policy Manual, and it requires that you have in place your own private health insurance plan.
Vacation time begins to accrue after 6 months of employment. Between 6 months and 5 years of employment a fulltime employee accrues a week’s paid vacation; between 5 and 10 years a fulltime employee accrues 2 weeks paid vacation; over 10 years a fulltime employee accrues 3 weeks paid vacation.
You are eligible to participate in the plan if you have earned at least $5,000 during the last calendar year and are expected to earn at least $5,000 during this calendar year. You may elect to defer as much of your wage as you’d like. However, your total contribution may not exceed $6,000 annually. You may alter the amount of your contribution every January 1 and July 1 after you initiate your Simple IRA. A-1 Builders will match your contribution dollar for dollar, but our contribution will not exceed 3% of your compensation. This contribution may be reduced to a level below 3% – but not below 1% – in two out of every five years.
When you use your personal vehicle for business use you will be reimbursed at the federally-approved reimbursement rate.
SmartPhone and Data Package
You will be provided with a SmartPhone and data package at no cost to you.
Christmas Day is a paid holiday for every employee who has worked a minimum of 6 calendar months, with an average of at least 20 hours per week.
In addition, there is a paid ‘floater’ day that you pick and choose.
Anniversaries celebrating your longevity here are special events. These gifts differ depending upon your current wage and how many years you have been with us, with more significant gifts when you reach five year multipliers (e.g., at 5 years, 10 years, etc.).
At one year of employment and every 5 years thereafter you will receive a $150 allowance to purchase a company coat upon which we place our logo.
Cafeteria Plan of Voluntary Benefits
We offer you a menu of voluntary, qualified benefits which allow you to pay for the selected benefit(s) on a pre-tax basis. This Cafeteria Plan is a qualified plan under Section 125 of the Internal Revenue Service Code. You are eligible for these benefits when you have worked here for 45 days, so long as you are at least 18 years old. When you reach these eligibility requirements you can choose any of the following voluntary benefits available to us through AFLAC (American Family Life Assurance Company of Columbus):
- The Cancer Protection Plan
- Accident /Disability Plan
- Hospital Intensive Care Plan
- Short term disability